In Matthew 5, Jesus teaches us how we should pray.
This is not to say that we should never swerve from what is outlined here, since there are different types of prayer like intercessory prayer where the format may differ but when it comes to personal prayer with the Father, below I identify some key points to consider.
Preparations for Effective Prayer
- What is the state of your heart – what’s the reason or motive for why you’re praying are you praying because you want to be seen to be praying, seen to be pious or do you really want to connect with God. If the former then being seen by people is all you will get( that is your reward) but if the latter go to a quiet place and pray and God will reward you for genuinely seeking him.
Outline for prayer:
- We must recognise who God is
- Praise God
- Pray for God’s will to be done on earth as in heaven that Gods agenda for us and the earth will be established – by doing this we are keeping the balance we keep this world from becoming so evil
- Pray for your daily needs
- Ask God for forgiveness and forgive others
- Ask for deliverance from being tempted by Satan
Matthew 5: 6-16
5 “And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. 6 But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7 And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8 Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from the evil one.
14 For if you forgive other people when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. 15 But if you do not forgive others their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins.